The Cooper Brothers firm was founded in Sheffield, England in 1866. Their address in the directory was given as 14 1/2 High Street, and they were described as manufacturer's of electroplated and nickel silver spoons and forks. They have a high reputation in the sterling trade, as they were also making their own German silver. In 1895, the Cooper Brothers became a limited liability company and added to the name, making it Cooper Brothers and Sons. Frank Cobb and Company, Limited acquired the Cooper Brothers and Sons business in 1983. The Cooper brothers were Thomas and John William Cooper. In the beginning, they were ill-adapted to the business, but quickly learned and expanded to several locations to make the sterling silver business what it is today.